Saturday, February 6, 2010

Quality Time With Couches

Because Nature's been spending a lot of time raining, I've been spending a lot of time on the couch.
Justin (Tom's cousin) has a movie collection meant for sedentary rainy days, so I can't complain too much. This weekend I watched:

-The Ladykillers
-Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
-Almost Famous
-Beerfest
-Baseketball
-THX 1138
-Star Wars Episodes 2 and 3
-Cool Runnings (this was on TV but still counts)
-Dark Knight
-Batman Begins
-Heat
-Blow
-Big Fish

Overarching verdicts: Almost Famous makes me so happy to be so sad; The Coen Brothers are so good; Katie Holmes is so bad; George Lucas should stick to his Star Wars; Baseketball is still such a good idea.

UPDATE

The weather's improved!
And the Saints won!
And because of the improvement in the weather, I left the apartment and watched the Saints win!

I decided to venture out into the fine city that is Sydney and stumbled upon an adventure.
I didn't exactly mean to watch the Superbowl at a bar at 1pm surrounded by Irish people (and of course a few Germans) but, you know.
These things happen.
I wandered by this one hotel on Pitt Street (sidenote: a lot of the bars are called hotels here, something to do with alcoholism, I'm unclear of the details, the point is: they're not hotels) and there was a mass of people by the door.
Easily 50 people, just huddled around this door.
So, I joined them, because I'm trendy.
Turns out, they were watching the Superbowl.
The bouncer asked me for ID, I told him I wasn't interested in going in, he asked me again, I produced my NJ driver's license and he announced to the bar:
"Got an American!"

And the crowd went wild.

So, in I went and Irish people I met.
One pair of Irish lads, Peter and Matthew (who called themselves "Machu Peters" which threw me back to when I hiked that trail in Peru with another Irishman who called it Machu Peters, too...ah, memories) bought me just so many beers.

Cut to the point: I saw the Saints win! And Porter's run! And Manning's frown. And Brees' adorable baby. And gave a very lean geography lesson to about a dozen international American football fans, who now know that New Jersey is a state and New Orleans is not, and most importantly, New Hampshire is NOT south of Georgia.

It was a great time and I'm so happy the Saints won, even if they aren't the Steelers.

Unrelatedly, I booked my flight to New Zealand and will be leaving on February 19th. Also, my insurance covered my diving accident (remember that?) SO! I'm relieved.
My new plan is to not work, ever again. Specifically before I return back to the States.
Ideally I'd like to spend about a month in NZ and then go to Israel for like 2-3 months and then come back to the US of A.
Maybe even fly through the Left coast?
And then either land in Chicago and stay there for a few months, or go all the way to the Newer Jersey and then double back to Chicago.
Orrrrr, buy a Winnebago and drive to the moon.

Suggestions encouraged; directions ignored.

This was so long and disjointed.

Bye!

1 comment:

  1. "My new plan is to not work, ever again." WHAT!!!! How's that????

    BTW, check out NZ for retirement potential. We're expecting a full report before we buy our tickets.

    ReplyDelete