Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving And Other North American Things

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a good turkey.

I'm currently writing from Tom's cousin's condo in Neutral Bay, Sydney.

For the record, Tom Manewitz might just be the best travel buddy ever created, if for no other reason than he knows and is related to the most hospitable people ever born.*
I know I exaggerate sometimes, but this is not one of those times.
Tom's cousin, Justin and his wife Amanda, are two of the warmest, most generous people I've ever had the privilege to meet.
They're letting me stay with them until I find a job and apartment of my own and have treated us both like family, even though I'm not related to them, at all.

*Tom's also good at navigating in new cities and making sure I know/putting up with me even though I'm a bad driver, and also he doesn't snore too loudly, so the reasons that make him a good travel buddy are many. Really though.

As for life beyond superb lodgings, I had my first interview today.
It was for a fund raising position similar to what I did my "last semester" in Pittsburgh, except the hours for this job will be far more substantial than that one.
I'll find out if I get it tomorrow but I have a decent feeling they'll offer it to me.
I think I'd rather do something a little different than harassing passersby to try to get them to support my causes.
Especially since I'm also kind of vacation?

The apartment hunt is a bit held up due to the fact that I don't know what I'll be doing/where I'll be working but I am actively searching.

Otherwise, things are great.
It's been beautiful weather and everyone I've met has given me a compliment of one kind or another.
Apparently, I look exactly like Lauren Conrad from "The Hills" which isn't something I'm necessarily proud of, but she's pretty, and so, I agree.

Justin and Amanda took Tom and I to Justin's company Christmas party last night in Darling Harbour which was really fun and my first time in the Harbour.
I met a lot of nice people who gave me great travel suggestions and were very funny.
Australians have a fantastic wit about them and it makes me feel right at home.
They also call finger foods, such as cocktail weenies and crackers and dip, "nibblies."
Come on.

The time difference has been a bit of a struggle but I've been able to speak to some of you and I miss you all muchly.
Amanda, who's American, is having Thanksgiving tomorrow (Friday for us...we're in the future) so I'll be thinking of you while I dig in to our turkey and stuffing and sweet potato casserole.

1 comment: