Sunday, March 7, 2010

Your Heritage is Peace

I'm in Kaikoura again after 4 glorious days in Queenstown.
I do not hesitate or exaggerate when I say Queenstown is the coolest place I have ever and might ever see in real life.

It was everything everyone said it would be plus a really pretty rose garden no one told me about.
I spent the first night catching up on some relaxation and much needed re-packing of my bag. EXCITING.
The days were spent wandering around the city and various gardens and coastal walking tracks.
And it's a good thing I was so "active" because Queenstown is famous for one of the best foods ever created: the Fergburger.
The Fergburger almost defies description. Which is why I'm glad they have a website: http://www.fergburger.com/fullscreen.html
It's almost like a Fathead's sammich, except that Fathead's has a larger array to choose from and part of the Ferg-appeal is the size, which is massive.
Clearly, if I'm spending time recounting the experience here, it was deadly.

My last day was spent cruising through Milford Sound, which was a gorgeous way to see such a place.
My pictures will be up soon so you can all agree about how gorgeous it is.

My last night was spent visiting many of the 300 bars and clubs the city has to offer, and I learned the secret to getting free shots of gin from bartenders.
Part of the secret is knowing who Sid the Kid is.
There are more parts of the secret but like I said, I got free shots of gin, so they will remain a secret. To me, especially.

Needless to say, I got to experience both the natural beauty and night life Queenstown has on offer, and it rules.

Unrelatedly, I saw this sign in front of the Kaikoura Memorial Centre that said, "Your heritage is peace" (translated from a Maori saying) and it made me stop and think.
Very rarely do I think of my heritage in a way that doesn't involve civil unrest or war or immigration [due to war] or something along those lines. Not because my family is super contentious, but because the history I've been taught always focused on who was in charge of whom and when.
I guess there is a difference between history and heritage semantically speaking, but if you're taught to be proud of being peaceful, maybe your history wouldn't be so full of facts about wars?

No comments:

Post a Comment