Thursday, January 28, 2010

That Great Ocean Road

Back in Melbourne!
I got here via the Great Ocean Road, which is a stretch of road between Adelaide and Melbourne and is one of those must-do's for people who travel to Australia.
So, I did it.
It was really pretty and really windy and I saw and took pictures of so many rocks.
We also went to the Grampians which were beautiful and made me wish I had listened better/at all in my geology classes at Pitt, because I'm pretty sure we talked about Australia specifically.

This trip was a lot of bus-time which got kind of old right away, but the people on the bus were great.
To be honest, I think the pictures sort of speak for themselves as far as the itinerary goes so I suggest you just go on Facebook.

Because we were on the bus so much, I had some time to remember some things and write them down so I'll share them here.

Funny Things That Internationals Have Said [In Error]:

"Are you ready to crumble!?!?!"

"I have two sons, one of which is a girl."

"The waves are very bullshit."

"I think that all of the food in America is for stoned people. Everyone who eats is very stoned because the food is very crunchy. Ben's and Jerry's are ice creams made for people who only are stoned all the time. And no wonder, did you know you have to be over 16 to drink beer in America?"

Music I Keep Listening to Because it Reminds Me of Home or Seems Somehow Appropriate to Listen to Here:

-The entire "Graceland" album because it's a road trip
-Five Blind Boys of Alabama
-Minus the Bear
-Bob Schneider
-Cake
-Nickel Creek
-Paolo Nutini
-Say Anything
-Fountains of Wayne (New Jersey! New Jersey!)
-Speechwriters, LLC
-The Mamas and the Papas

Things I Keep Noticing About Being Here as Opposed to Being Home:

-people walk on the left side and pass on the right
-the locks and knobs all turn the opposite way and I keep thinking I'm locked in bathrooms
-also the "cold" and "hot" knobs are reversed
-the weather forecast is totally unreliable
-cricket is BORING
-water tastes weird unless you're in a city
-there are hardly any black people and when there are black people, white people stare

My plans for the next leg of my journey are as yet unmade, but look something like:

I'd like to road trip to Sydney and chill out for a week or two before New Zealand, where I'll be going at the end of February.
I'll spend all of March and possibly a little of April in NZ and then come back to Oz to work for like...6 weeks?
At this point, I think I'd like to do an au pair job for 6 weeks because I'd be making a lot of money and would have my room and board taken care of.
Also I could probably shower without sandals if I were an au pair.
(Sidenote: I lost my Israeli flag sandals during my flight between Brisbane and Alice Springs. Sad.)
After working for 6 weeks or so, I'd hop a plane to some part of Asia (which part is unsure) and spend a few weeks immersing myself in very old and very different surroundings.
Then I'd head to some part of Europe, probably, for a week or so and hopefully (!) reunite with BAM and thennn, Israel for maybe...3 months?

Now really all I need to do is book some flights and some accommodations and fund my trip.
No big deal.

1 comment: