Saturday, August 6, 2011

John Waters + David Simon = Pink Flamingos on The Wire

I'm currently en route to Baltimore, MD, wherein I will see my long lost older sister and less long lost parents. Nobody is from Baltimore, but Baltimore is where we're going.

Becky's been living in Portland, OR, for a while now and it's been a while since we were in the same physical location. You forget how far away you are from people sometimes. You forget because of Skype and texts and very well-written emails. But you remember how far away you are when you finally get together, after all kinds of public and private transportation mediums and an unfortunate lack of travel music due to an unfortunate lack of head phones.

Public (and very affordable private) transportation is probably my favorite part of Things. It's so weird and beautiful and human to travel with strangers. It's like humanity on tour. I guess it actually is humanity on tour. Everyone gets the same kind of treatment and nobody is in charge. Even the driver becomes part of the humanity at some point in the journey. Usually, for me, that point happens when s/he pulls over to use the bathroom. That's even more human than travel.

I do my best thinking in motion. Also, my best Wikipedia research. Did you know 2Pac went to high school in Baltimore?

No comments:

Post a Comment