Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spontaneity Has Its Time and Place

2 posts in 2 days.
This is what happens when the Australian sun just won't stop flirting with you.
[I am inside and out of the heat, is what I mean]

After the hullabulloo that was Byron Bay, I have decided to take some action and direct my trip just a little bit:

I leave for Hervey Bay tomorrow afternoon, get in at 9pm and go on my Fraser Island excursion until the 19th.
Then I go to Brisbane by bus at 4:40am and fly to Alice Springs the next day at 6:50am.
I get into Alice at about 1pm, stay there for a night and then go on my Uluru/Red Centre trip until the 24th.
Then I fly from Alice to Adelaide, where I stay for 2 nights, I think.
Then I drive the Great Ocean Road from Adelaide and finish the journey in Melbourne on the 28th of January, I think.
And then, I'll spend some time in Melbourne, maybe even work (?) until I decide to fly to New Zealand, for which I bought a Stray bus pass that enables me to see both islands on my own time.
But it also enables me to have some informational tour guidance and probably a lot of drunk 20-somethings to help me work on prejudging people.

And all this for the low, low price of $2,055! (Which isn't that bad when you consider that it includes flights/buses, accomodation, and trip costs)

The only things I still need to book/pay for are:
-my flight to NZ
-my accomodation when I get there
-food

Not bad.

I'd also like to road trip back to Sydney from Melbourne in late Feb, which will probably cost me a pretty penny, but it's supposed to be a beautiful drive so I say, to hell with pretty pennies.

It was fun winging it and planning as I went along.
Not having anywhere to be is sometimes really great.
But sometimes, it's sort of damning (at least in my view).
So I've decided that spontaneity and I, while we usually have a really great relationship, should probably see other people.
At least for now.

The new plan* is as follows, kind of:

Australia until...like...late February?
Then New Zealand until March or April?
Then either Bali or Thailand or Malaysia or anywhere that allows me to fly sort of cheaply from Australia to somewhere else, until about...sometime in late April/early May?
Then probably Israel?
Then meeting up with a one Bridey Aliza Maidhof either in Morocco, Ireland, Rome, or Barcelona, in, like, July?
Then probably the United States.
Probably.

So I'll probably be back sometime before 2011.

*this changes about every 25 minutes or so. Ask Tom.

Oh also!
While Australia is known for its amazing road trips and scenery (as it should be), the USA also has its share of beauty.
I propose that you (YOU) should join me in purchasing a Winnebago and driving from the east coast to the west coast sometime after I get back.
This has been a dream of mine since I was in middle school.
Please, help me realize it.

1 comment:

  1. A) I support this.
    B) I support the driving from east coast to west coast when you're back in the states.
    C) I demand that you stay with Liz and I when you do drive to the left coast.
    D) We miss/envy/hate you. (Not really on the hate, but we are super jealous).
    E) I want to meet up in Ireland :(

    ReplyDelete